As men age, it is natural for them to gradually lose testosterone. When testosterone levels are low, men can experience fatigue, loss of lean muscle and trouble gaining muscle mass, decreased sex drive, high blood pressure, premature aging, and sexual dysfunction. Low T is not just a symptom of aging, however, and can often arise from underlying health issues. These underlying health conditions include obesity, diabetes, infections, hormonal disorders, cancer, and kidney and liver disease. Some medications have also been known to lower testosterone levels.
Here are 5 facts that every man should know, especially if they suffer from Low T:
- Testosterone is an anabolic steroid and also the primary sex hormone in men. Its role is to help develop the male reproductive system as well as help promote certain male characteristics which include the ability to gain muscle, grow facial hair and have a healthy sex drive. Testosterone is what physically makes a man.
- As men age into their 50's they commonly experience a number of symptoms. These symptoms include loss of lean muscle mass, loss of energy, fatigue, depression, mood swings, erectile dysfunction, and low sex drive. While these symptoms may seem like a normal sign of aging, collectively these symptoms are the result of low testosterone, a condition called andropause.
- Low testosterone and high levels of estradiol can lead to an increased risk of coronary artery disease and sometimes death. When testosterone is balanced or at a higher level, it predicts a reduced 5-year risk of cardiovascular disease in men.
- Low levels of testosterone in the blood do not protect against prostate cancer and Low T levels may actually increase the risk of prostate cancer. According to an article published in the Journal of National Cancer Institute, no relationship was found between prostate cancer and testosterone and minor androgens. The study included more than 3,000 men with prostate cancer and more than 6,000 men without prostate cancer with findings suggesting that scientists finally move beyond the long-believed but unsupported view that high testosterone levels signal a risk for prostate cancer.
- Erectile Dysfunction is often caused by low testosterone, which can also result in poor libido and low sex drive. If ED continues over a long period of time, it may cause problems in a relationship, affect self-esteem, and cause stress. Nearly 30 million American men suffer from ED.
There is treatment for low T and youthful vitality can be regained. Through treatment, you can see an increase in energy, stamina, sex drive, strength, fitness, and overall well-being. Treatment can also help with reducing cholesterol levels, improve concentration and focus, and help create greater elasticity of the heart and other muscle tissue. Treatment has also helped men with Arthritis, Eczema, Fibromyalgia, and Psoriasis, along with other conditions.
At Physicians Age Management, we offer testosterone replacement therapy. It’s what we do every day and our specialty. Our Hormone Replacement Therapy provides individualized doses of hormones that emulate nearly identically those each patient had as a younger man. If you think you may be suffering from testosterone deficiency, take our hormone test or request a free consultation today.